This blog tries to get a bit deeper into the nature of the trees around me, mainly in the Low Weald of Kent.

Saturday 19 May 2018

Broad-leaved Lime at Dene Park


I finally had a good look at this small tree on the Knight's Park path in Dene Park, which I have wondered about for many years. It had leaves up to 150 mm long, quite floppy, and nearly as wide as long. A close examination showed a downy upper surface, hairs on the lower surface, with very obvious whitish hair tufts on the less developed leaves. It does look quite a lot like Broad-leaved Lime, Tilia platyphyllos Scopoli.


Looking very closely at the teeth, most are drawn out into a point, a feature of this species I think.


This is the underside of the leaves.


and here is a view of the tufts and hairs on the underside of the leaves.


I was very pleased to find all these features. Now all I have to do is go back in about 8 months to see the winter buds

No comments:

Post a Comment